The elections of the Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) which took place on 12 September 2019 registered a lesser number of voters than previous years although the significant number of fresher’s did took part in the polls.
The Events that took place in the elections :
- Three students were caught for using unfair means in elections at Kirori Mal College.
- At Aryabhatta College some students complaint of faulty EVM.
- While polls didn’t take place in colleges such as- Deen Dayal Upadhayay, Bharti College, Rajdhani College.
- The entire poll took place in two-phase (morning and evening) at 52 colleges and departments.
- A total number of voters were recorded 1.4 Lakh.
- The voting percentage was recorded at around 39.9% while last year it was 44.5%.
- This year a major change took place in the scrutiny process of DUSU polls where teachers were allotted at the polling booth.
- Several claims were made by the parties such as NSUI and ABVP, while NSUI claimed that it had managed to win seats on the panels in 10 colleges whereas ABVP claimed that it has won in 8 Colleges.
- NSUI said that it has been victorious in colleges like the Sri Venkateswara College, the Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College and has done quite well in colleges such as the Deshbandhu College and SGBT Khalsa College.
- Former DUSU President Shakti Singh alleged that three students from NSUI had printed fake slips with wrong ballot number of ABVP secretary Yogit Rathi to deviate the voters.
- This year many first-timers came to cast their votes but a few students felt that none of the candidates is worthy to be given votes thus they preferred NOTA button. The demands of students from the panel were mainly Infrastructural changes and overall development and welfare of students.
You may also like to Read:
Picture Credit: Google Images