It is astonishing to believe but it’s true that there is huge disparity in fee structure for the same course in different colleges of Delhi University. For instance, average fees (per year) for courses such as Bachelor of Arts, BA(Hons.) Sanskrit, BA (Hons.) Philosophy, BA (Hons.) History, BA (Hons.) Economics and BA (Hons.) English is INR 35,470 in St. Stephens College. Whereas, the average fees per annum of such courses in Indraprastha College for Women is just INR 6,663.
In another example, the fee structure of various MA language courses in Lady Sri Ram College is INR 17,976 while Kamala Nehru College provides them at INR 7999 only.
Indeed, the rationale behind the demand for having ‘One course, One fees’ is as follows –
- There are no set criteria to show the reason behind having such a huge incongruity in fee structure for the same course.
- Although, syllabus, examination pattern, books, and everything is the same still having such differences is not at all acceptable.
- All the faculties in DU are recruited by the same procedure in the colleges of Delhi University, that means, they all must be having the same educational qualifications and knowledge to impart in scholars. Then, what’s the logic behind doing discrimination in fees for the same knowledge.
- DU is a Collegiate Public Central University, therefore, it must have the same fee structure in various colleges for the same course so that every College will come on the same page.
- Many guys who cannot afford high fees, switch over to those colleges which have comparatively low fees even if that college is far off from their home. Therefore, it is required to have uniform charges to remove all such cases.
- Moreover, such divergence leads to a misconception among the minds of students that colleges with high fees must be having quality education than others. However, let me tell you guys, this is not so, because fees are decided internally. It has nothing to do with the quality of education.
- Ultimately, every student is going to get the same degree with having the name of Delhi University, then nobody is going to look at your college or you have paid higher fees than others because everyone will judge you on the basis of your competency. And, it is scholars who make college, no college can make a student. Thus, fee structure has to be controlled centrally