Soon after cessation of admissions under the seventh list, there is still an air of confusion over admissions under various quota of reserved category, mainly EWS (Economically weaker section) and Schedule tribe (ST). The seats vacant under such category are mainly in colleges belonging to Off-campus. There is fixed number of seats under different categories in DU and every year rush of students come across from the entire country to get admission in the esteemed University.
Various cases of vacant unfilled seats in different University of Delhi :
- Some colleges of North Campus have many vacant seats mainly of ST and the seats belonging to EWS also have not many seat takers.
- Aryabhatta College of DU has merely filled up seats for three courses under EWS quota among the total of 11 courses offered.
- In Maitreyi college of University of Delhi an astonishing number of 23 seats for EWS category and 51 seats for ST category are still vacant.
- In Hindu College majority of seats belonging to ST category are vacant for many courses.
- Even in Miranda House college seats belonging to EWS, ST and OBC are still remaining vacant.
- In Aurobindo students turnover for EWS Seats was satisfactory but that of ST was meager.
Major reason for the seats to remain vacant:
According to the college administration, the seats are still vacant because the cutoff for EWS ( Economically weaker section ) is usually 0.5% lower than the General category. So whenever the general category cutoffs become lower it automatically becomes the same as that of EWS (Economically weaker section) and thus EWS seats are vacant.
The University of Delhi is thus facing hurdle in filing its vacant seats as even the admission under the 7th Cutoff is over.