Usually, the canteen area is the most favored adda among DU college students to make new friends and chill out in groups. Wretchedly, it is remembered for memories but not food. College prices are reasonable that will bring smiles on your face since they are extremely pocket-friendly but the ambiance is not up to mark.
In some college canteens, you get cold patties to super oily macaroni, which are bad for health. There is hardly anything that would be recommended to try out. However, other colleges really offer yummy and healthy food. These colleges consist of Hindu, Sri Venkateswara, St. Stephens, Miranda House, Shri Ram College of Commerce and Hansraj College.
Sadly, most DU colleges have poorly maintained canteens that do not meet the modern standards of today. These canteens do not even serve as a decent hangout place. With a few benches that are always occupied and handful fans, you wouldn’t want to step inside these canteens for a minute.
10 things overlooked in these canteens are –
- Graffiti on walls
- Comfortable eats
- Plasma TV (or even an ancient idiot box would suffice)
- Mirrors (especially in girl’s colleges)
- Wall clock
- Bright and cheerful colors
- Vending machines
- Magazines or newspaper racks
After reading the things mentioned above, you might think that we are over expecting. But the brand name that DU colleges carry, we can expect such privileges being a part of DU.
Reviews about canteens of various DU Colleges –
- Aryabhatta College – Sitting arrangements is not proper and food quality is moderate.
- Ramjas College – Inappropriate display of food items available and price chart. Moreover, the sitting arrangement is not well, terrible hygiene.
- Acharya Narendra Dev College – Although the hygiene is fine enough but the menu is highly constricted to few varieties. Therefore, guys prefer to go out for birthday parties or any other occasions.
- Aditi Mahavidyalaya – The college has a comfortable and spacious canteen run under the supervision of the college canteen committee that provides refreshments and eatables prepared in hygienic conditions at reasonable prices.
- Deshbandhu College – A nice canteen offering a wide range of snacks, meal, and other items but the canteen area is super small and not well furnished.
- Bhim Rao Ambedkar College – The college canteen provides the students with a variety of eateries. It has adequate seating space of around 100 persons with a separate seating area for the staff. The college makes every effort that quality food is provided to students at affordable prices.
- Venkateswara College – Although, the canteen is quite good and cheap but students have complained that it doesn’t serve non-veg food.
- Maitreyi College – It is terribly hot, fully crowded because of lack of enough seating area and food quality is also not up to the mark.
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh College – The food quality is very bad and you will mostly be served cold food. In the name of beverages such as iced tea and cold coffee, you can expect a glass of tasteless cold water.
In spite of all these shortcomings, one cannot deny the fact that Canteen is the best option for students studying in an off-campus college.